[78-L] Screamin Jay's Greatest #hit (was Aileen Stanley recording (Sreamin Jay Hawkins)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Feb 1 14:44:57 PST 2010

Since "I Put A Spell On You" came out on 78, Screamin' Jay Hawkins is
not really off topic. I had mentioned that he recorded a blues album for
Len Kunstadt's Spivey label, and Len told me that Jay had always been
grateful that Len let him record the album because he really always
wanted to be considered a serious performer.  I am glad I bought a copy
from Lenny because I haven't seen or heard anything about it since
Lenny's demise.

But also beyond 78s, I don't think he recorded my next favorite "song"
of his except on a mid-60s Mercury LP.    Now some of you might remember
my disparaging remarks about trad blues I made a couple of weeks ago in
the discussion about Copyright Criminals, but this type of blues is
DIFFERENT, and quite unique.   One of the greatest blues compositions
ever written and the most truely gut wrenching honest blues recordings
ever made.  The audio recording is here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hks_t-HzSc&NR=1

He did a great TV duet with Serge Gainsbourg, and they both play great
blues piano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvNO0BfBecc&feature=related

And then a WHITE guy does a great imitation of Jay doing this song in a
rather realistic live performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Rj-X_bg4w&feature=related

Another white guy--German, I believe--with a great band in a living-room
studio performance.

A modern country song on the same theme, but completely different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN_ykyCNRTs&feature=related

There are other variations on the same theme but I'll end my listing
here because we are now far upstream from Screamin Jay.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com