[78-L] RM Test Pressing - Bunk Johnson 1943

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sat Jan 30 07:07:49 PST 2010

 From CDB: Just got a bunch of 78s and found this TEST PRESSING with
Bunk Johnson and ex-members of Lu Watters Yerba Buena Jazz Band.
Anybody know what this is?  Is the date 1943 correct?

This was issued as No. 5 on the bootleg Jay Records label. From my book
Collectors Guide to  to Jazz on Bootleg & Reissue 78 R.P.M. Records
1932 to 1952, page 46: Bunk Johnson with the Original Lu Waters Band,
Clancy Hayes vocals: Ace in the Hole (mx. 5A)/Careless Love (mx. 5B);
first public issue. Also available as a private “test pressing” with
plain label. “Ace in the Hole” has matrix number RM401; “Careless
Love,” mx. RM402. On a copy the author has seen, the words “Test
Pressing” are printed in script type in green ink centered above the
spindle hole. Known among collectors as the “Test Pressing release,” it
is believed only a small number of copies were produced.

I don’t know about the accuracy of the date but Jay Records were issued
in the late 1940s at the time other bootleg labels were emerging and
issuing records.
Geoffrey Wheeler