[78-L] Eislers and Brecht

Steve Shapiro steveshapiro1 at juno.com
Fri Jan 29 13:32:34 PST 2010

I think Hans wanted to leave the U.S., but they blocked him for a while.  Brother Gerhardt wanted to stay, but they deported him.

When they both were in the U.S., did Hans and Brecht do any collaborations?  Recording?

How did Hans come to link up with Charles Laughton for the Decca Christmas Pickwick Papers album?  Was this also performed on radio?

Did Hans ever do anything with his old teacher Schoenberg when both were in California?

Hans eventually got back to Germany - East Berlin - where according to the film Solidarity Song he fell into depression after the Stalinists took over from the more liberal Reds who first took power in the East.  I find music from his last years a tough, unpleasant listen./steve