[78-L] Quality of Columbia Recordings

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Fri Jan 29 11:27:38 PST 2010

Letter from Louis Sterling, Monday, March 6, 1939
Letter to E. Wallerstein of American Record Corporation from Louis
Sterling, Columbia Graphophone Company Ltd., Hayes, Middlesex, England.
[Note: Although this letter is brief, it is important for what it
suggests about the relationship between American Record Corp., Columbia
Phonograph, CBS, and the English company, Columbia Graphophone.]

Dear Mr. Wallerstein,
I have your letter of February 24th, and take this opportunity of
extending to you my heartiest congratulations on becoming President of
the American Record Corporation and its subsidiaries, [emphasis added]
and I wish you every success in your new job. As you know, we have been
very disappointed in the past with the recordings we have had from the
Columbia Phonograph Co. Inc., and I sincerely hope that with the new
management under yourself and the parent Broadcasting Company [emphasis
added], the Columbia Mark will get a much bigger share of the important
artists recording than it has had in the past.

We shall, of course, as in the past do our best to co–operate with the
American Company in every way. I have sent you today a cable as per
attached confirmation, in accordance with the request contained in your
letter, which I hope will be satisfactory.

Kind regards, yours sincerely (Louis Sterling)

Note: Columbia Graphophone Company Ltd.’s registered office was 98 to
108 Clerkenwell Road, London, E.C.1 The company letterhead identifies
the company as manufacturer of Columbia Grafonolas, Columbia New
Process Records, Columbia Radio, Columbia Radio-Graphophones. Also
listed on the mast head are the following directors: The Rt. Hon. Lord
Marks, Alfred Clark, William Forse, J. Gray, H. L. H. Hill, Sir Arthur
Cornelius Roberts, Edward De Stein, Sir Louis Sterling.