[78-L] Tonearm Mass and Cartridge/Stylus Compliance To Buy New Cartridge

beststuff4u at frontiernet.net beststuff4u at frontiernet.net
Thu Jan 28 18:26:59 PST 2010

Greetings all,

I recently became aware of the proper way of matching a given cartridge/stylus to a given tonearm. All the info I have found talks about if high tone arm mass then a low compliance cartridge/stylus is required and the the reverse is true, i.e. low tone arm mass requires a high compliance cartridge.

Since terms like high and low are relative, I had hoped to find out what specs or measurements are needed to make the high/low determination. I need to buy a new cartridge/stylus for my vintage Garrard TT.

Can anyone shed any light on this or point me to a resource with the answers? Better yet, has anyone here gone through the exercise of selecting a different new cartridge/stylus to replace one that came with the TT?

All input is appreciated.

Thank you.