[78-L] Lee Wiley/Liberty Music Shop

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 27 19:39:15 PST 2010

The Lee Wiley Gala labels have GALA in block letters, like many of the
hard-edged Dwight Fiske discs. Willie Howard and Belle Baker's albums have GALA
in Olde English style. Both Willie and Belle's albums have marquee artwork on
the cover and both are conducted by Harley Dainger (whoever he be). Belle's
album, btw, credits a guest appearance by the world's greatest trombonist, Muni
Zudekoff (bonus points for anyone who identifies him). Willie's album is Gala
#1, discs 1000/2. Belle's album is #3, discs 1006/8. I don't know what album #2
is and for that matter, I've never found the Belle Baker album complete.
Belle's matrices are 103/108, Willie's matrices are 115/120 and were cut at two
different studios! #119 is clearly Reeves while the others look as if they were
cut at Schmuyle's Record-Your-Voice booth on Coney Island (or by Timely) and
the matrix numbers are machine-cut  with each "1" facing the wrong way, but the
numbers are not reversed. Willie's album says "Novelty Record Company" on the
labels. Belle's..no such credit. Rust says "c. 1940" for Belle and doesn't list
Willie at all. The liner notes to Willie's album refer to him as "now the star
of the Broadway hit, 1942 Priorities". The Belle Baker album has no notes.

And now I see David Diehl with a review of the Willie Howard album and
"Favorite Mfg Co"! I think Gala got their stuff cut and pressed wherever they
could.

Back to Lee. The Gala album has a maroon spine and says "Rodgers and Hart - Lee
Wiley - Gala Album". No number. Inside liner has notes by Ernie Anderson and
photos of Mr. Kaminsky, Mr. Bushkin, Miss Wiley and Mr. Freeman, in dark blue
print on white background. The cover is that hideous underwater thing that Ted
Ono also used on Devil's Music DM 6003 except that on Ted's, the print is black
and sepia and on Gala, bluish monochrome. Same cover as on
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B00009QGDZ/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_1?ie=UTF8&index=1
but I can't read the red letters under the pianist's right hand on what may be
the Rabson's Music Box album.

If the Gala album was pressed in 1944, I wonder why Paul Wetstein's name wasn't
changed to Paul Weston? The "through courtesy of Tommy Dorsey" credit still
appears on the labels. Weston was on his own by then.

dl