[78-L] Goodman, Henderson, and Lippman (was: Artie Shaw)

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Tue Jan 26 13:49:02 PST 2010

.
They are good LOUD transfers.

Al Simmons

----- Original Message -----
From: "Geoffrey Wheeler" <dialjazz at verizon.net>
To: <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 4:16 PM
Subject: [78-L] Goodman, Henderson, and Lippman (was: Artie Shaw)

Mike Biel asks:  “You don't happen to remember the form of those discs,
do you?” I have notes somewhere on these recordings but I was checking
the booklet in Circle CCD-50 Benny Goodman and His Orchestra 1935 from
the famous “Let’s Dance” Broadcasts. First Release.” The dubs for this
CD were done by Bill Savory; Bill’s wife, Helen Ward, wrote the notes.
Bill gave me the CD. Reproduced in the booklet is a red-and-white label
from Radio Recording Studio, 1619 Broadway, New York City for February
2, 1935. This may be a lacquer disc; all of the aluminum discs I have
seen have not had labels. The photo on the cover shows Goodman and Ward
in a dancers’ embrace. Ward looks uncomfortable. Bill Savory told me
that even though they did not marry, he thought Ward was Goodman’s most
enduring romantic interest. Based on what I have learned, it is my
guess that the reason Ward married hastily and left the band at the end
of December 1936 was because Goodman told her he could not marry: He
had a new band to think about.

The playlist for performances taken from broadcasts February through
May 1935 is:

Let’s Dance
Hunkadola
Pardon My Love, vocal Helen Ward
Three Little Words
Clouds, vocal Ray Hendrickson
Star Dust
I Got Rhythm
She’s a Latin from Manhattan, vocal Helen Ward
Japanese Sandman
When My Baby Smiles at Me, vocal Toots Mondello
Livin’ in a Great Big Way, vocal Helen Ward
Farewell Blues
If the Moon Turns Green, vocal Ray Hendrickson
I Know That You Know
I Surrender Dear
Right About Face, vocal Helen Ward
Walk, Jenny, Walk