[78-L] Total Recall: Artie Shaw

david.diehl at hensteeth.com david.diehl at hensteeth.com
Mon Jan 25 21:47:43 PST 2010

Certainly Shaw regarded everything from his own perspective (I also attended his IAJRC presentation). I would contend that his main objection to the Brunswick sides was that he himself was still perfecting his craft. There are many splendid arrangements by Jerry Gray, well executed by the band but clearly Shaw's technique was still developing. Take "Just You, Just Me" a fine outing with great work by everyone but a couple of tiny, passing fluffs offended his perfectionist ear. He was no more burdened with 'crap' than any other bandleader. I love his version of "Someday Sweetheart" and don't tell me "It ain't Right" is dross. (OK, I'll concede on the Wes Vaughn vocals).
DJD
Visit the Blue Pages: the Encyclopedic Guide to 78 RPM Party Records
http://www.hensteeth.com