[78-L] Autographs

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Jan 25 20:37:13 PST 2010

If you go to the Met Opera, on top of a display case near the entrance
of the souvenir shoppe, is a framed Victor Red Seal of Caruso's Ave
Maria with a rather large autograph of Enrico himself in white ink on
the label.  I took a snapshot of it if anybody is interested.  $3000.
For the framed record, not the photo.  The photo is going real cheap.  I
assume the record will be there for a while, but you never can tell.  To
some Met Opera buffs, three thousand bucks is pocket change.  I do
highly recommend the half-price 2010 desk Engagement Calendar that has
several dozen very well reproduced and beautifully printed photos of Met
stars of our 78 era.
http://www.metoperashop.org/product/detail/1000003593.aspx  (The wall
calendar does have a photo of Karita Mattila in last year's
Salome--which Leah and I saw--but she is still veiled in the calendar,
and she also was in the video so youhaddabethere.)

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com