[78-L] Artie Shaw

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Mon Jan 25 20:30:23 PST 2010

Jeff, that is really interesting commentary! I’m not in the least
surprised at what you say about scores being lost. Even institutions
that have received donations sometimes store them poorly. I was told
some years ago that Neal Hefti  destroyed most or all of his work
because he was bitter about the way he felt he had been treated. Hefti
was another great arranger, as was Ernie Wilkens. I’ve had the pleasure
of hearing his Danish band perform a number of his arrangements. I also
have several of his European LP recordings.

One thing that irks me are jazz critics who unthinkingly claim Goodman
used Fletcher Henderson arrangements “as is” that Henderson had
previously recorded. Of all the extant air check recordings of
Goodman’s band performing on the Let’s Dance program, only a small
number were Henderson arrangements. As you say, Spud Murphy was
Goodman’s principal arranger at the time. I’ve often wondered what
happened to all the wonderful arrangements a young Eddie Sauter did for
Red Norvo’s band. I Love the sound and feel of that band!
Geoffrey Wheeler