[78-L] Autographs

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 20:20:13 PST 2010

Dr. Biel,

I promise that I will put down some things in a couple of days concerning
this subject. I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of this, but I
saw some things firsthand that really upset me. The good news is that the
music is safe and is either at the Library of Congress or Yale (Cole
Porter), thanks primarily to Robert Kimball and Elizabeth Aumann. I will
also say that I still remember holding scores in Frank Saddler's handwriting
with notes attached written by Jerome Kern ca.1917. Imagine holding the
original manuscript of the Overture for Showboat, and a 1921 orchestration
by Maurice DePackh of a Gershwin song for some show that closed after a few
performances.

Jeff Sultanof