[78-L] Total Recall: Artie Shaw

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 16:39:23 PST 2010

I have written extensively about the idea that the arranger/composers for
the big bands were an important group of American composers, in some ways as
important and creative as Copland, Harris, Gershwin and so on. Let's look at
some of the names:

Manny Albam
Ralph Burns
Tadd Dameron
Gil Evans
Bill Finegan
George Handy
Paul Jordan
Phil Moore
Johnny Richards
Pete Rugolo
William Russo
Eddie Sauter
Paul Villipigue

There are many more; these are just the names I think of first.

I have just started a project where the music of these people and more will
be available legally with estates getting paid, something I've been wanting
to do for over thirty years. So yes, very often the arranger was challenged
to make something good out of a terrible song. That so many could do so,
with horrible time constraints (cranking it out overnight for a recording
session, hammering it out on the bus traveling to another job) truly makes
them heroes in my eyes.

Jeff