[78-L] Total Recall: Artie Shaw

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Mon Jan 25 14:42:39 PST 2010

I totally agree that Artie Shaw would make an excellent subject for a
biography, especially since he can’t sue anybody. During his
presentation to the IAJR Convention, I asked him two questions
regarding aspects of his Brunswick recordings. He ignored both and I
don’t know why. Fortunately, I don’t have to pick between Shaw or
Goodman as to which is my favorite: I have both to enjoy. Shaw seems to
have been most comfortable in settings he controlled, whereas Goodman
could improvise virtually anything on the spot with anybody.
Geoffrey Wheeler