[78-L] Advent of Electrical Recording

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Jan 25 12:20:26 PST 2010

Wow!  This is great info.  One thing that comes to mind:  Didn't they
know there was a war going on??!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: Michael Quinn <mbquinn at powerup.com.au>

The November 1918 HMV UK catalogue lists the following sets as being
provided in illustrated albums -

In A Persian Garden (Liza Lehmann)
Merrie England (Edward German)
The Boatswain's Mate (Ethel Smythe)
The Mikado (Gilbert & Sullivan)
 The only one I recollect seeing was the Merrie England which had an
attractive multi-colour pictorial art cover.

Concerning earlier opera sets - I have seen pre World War 1 Pathè sets
without no specific decoration or art work
There were early sets on German G&T and Odeon but I have not seen them.
The mentioned set of Ernani on 40 sides is a fantasy and sadly does not
exist.
Early celebrity HMV vocals often had a picture of the singer attached to

the rather flimsy paper covers of the day. Also Fonotipia featured
pictures of the singer pasted onto their early covers back to about
1905. With Victor you have those pictures of Melba, Tamagno and Patti
revealed when the disc is removed from the red card cover which has a
glassine window over the label hole.
Regards
Mike Quinn

Date: Mon, January 25, 2010 6:55 am