[78-L] acoustic recordings

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jan 24 18:46:06 PST 2010

DAVID BURNHAM wrote:
>> Someone recently asked when the last acoustic recording was made.
>> I'm sure this question has come up before. I know this isn't the
>> answer the enquirer is looking for but aside from independent
>> acoustic recordings which are being made regularly, (I understand
>> that a rock band or two have made novelty acoustic recordings),

There are several people making such as Peter Dilg acoustical recordings
on cylinder including rock bands, jazz bands, singers, and even Hillary
Clinton.

>> the last acoustic recording I'm aware of made by a major company for wide
>> distribution was recorded by EMI in 1997 by Roberto Alagna and Antonio Pappano
>> on a 10 inch 78 with a turn of the 20th century red label showing the
>> Recording Angel trademark and the heading "Gramophone Concert Record".

It's a vinyl pressing and came in a box with a booklet and a VHS
videocassette of the recording session that could have been a lot more
informative.  I think it is on YouTube.

From: "Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr." <citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net>
> Acoustic recordings were successfully sold until the early 90's
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/See_%27n_Say
> Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)

I think these toys contain electrical recordings being played back
acoustically.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com