[78-L] 4:33-WAS: Olde-timers

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Jan 24 16:53:49 PST 2010

While it is eminently logical (to me, anyway...?!) that one can copyright
silence...
which is, after all, simply the ABSENCE of sound...it would seem to me that
Cage's work, " 4' 33" " was defined by its composer as a SPECIFIC defined
length of silence...?! This, in turn, would mean that periods of silence of
different durations would NOT infringe on Cage's (and/or his publisher[s?])
copyright?! After all, Cage's "non-work" required the participant(s) remain
silent for EXACTLY four minutes and thirty-three seconds...thus, if some
other "non-composer" caused (a) musician(s) to remain silent for ANY
other length of time, the result would be a brand new (musical) "work"...?!

Of course, there are all sorts of questions involver herein...?! For one
example...IF a musician or group thereof set out to record Cage's work...
and during this (non-)performance, the (or one of the) artist(s) audibly
"breaks wind" and that sound is recorded...is this a completely different
musical work, and does the wind-breaker deserve composer credit on
the resulting recording?

This, in turn, completely redefines "wind instruments" as well as "wind
section"...?! Further, think of the inherent problems in playing, let alone
recording, this new opus...?! (Or, for that matter, trying to create the
sheet music for this new work?!). It might well be the case that the
"wind soloist" will be expected to f**t in a defined note and for a
defined duration...?!

Le Petomaine (sp?)...where are you when we NEED you?!

Steven C .Barr