[78-L] Depression-era orch records

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 24 16:04:54 PST 2010

The Boston Pops began recording in 1935, as did the Minneapolis Symphony
Orchestra. Victor started recording orchestras again at this point, with the
Boston Symphony joining a bit later. They got a real deal with the Minneapolis,
whose contract didn't require them to be paid for recording.

Columbia actually recorded a symphony orchestra in 1933 or '34, aside from that
one shot with the Boston..they recorded the St. Louis Symphony while on a road
trip. They also inadvertently assigned the same matrix numbers to the classical
recordings and some blues sides, so they got out of that hole by putting higher
take numbers on the classical pieces.

dl