[78-L] Advent of Electrical Recording

Matthew Duncan recordgeek334578 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 24 15:31:38 PST 2010

I believe the first Gilbert and Sullivan album set with a pictorial cover was "The Mikado" on HMV, 1917.  Prior to this album sets were issued on HMV without pictorial covers.   The earliest of these held single sided discs such as Verdi's 'Ernarni' on HMV from 1903, the label's first complete recording of an opera as opposed to issuing excepts from them was issued in a more plain cover than the 1917 G&S one mentioned above and was made up of 40 single sided discs.  I believe the discs were 12" in size and were G&T labelled records (pre-Nipper logo).

Matthew Duncan.
England.