[78-L] Advent of Electrical Recording

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Jan 23 20:19:01 PST 2010

From: "Ron L'Herault" <lherault at bu.edu>
>> If you re-publish the book, I hope you make it available on Kindle.
>> Ron L

I just want to see the book!!  But I did just notice that the
Brooks/Rust Columbia Master Book is available on Kindle.  But from what
I am seeing in these postings from Geoffrey his book must be much better
than "The Label" was.

I have spent the time between these two postings reading thru the
sections of "Music By Mail" about the early jazz albums such as the
Bessie and Bix memorial albums, and the Benny P-3 and Shaw Bluebird
albums, which were among the albums I looked at and photographed this
week at R&H.  Also in the book are discussions of the Brunswick Show
Boat and Blackbirds albums which are NOT at R&H for some strange reason,
so I still desperately need color photos of them, but the descriptions
of them are helpful.  Of course I am working on albums of all genre, not
just jazz, so what I am finding in the book is a sliver of the whole
picture.  Having a chance to see so many of these albums from the 1930s
is creating a whole new set of theories about the development of the
concept of the album that is going to make my presentation even more
than I had originally imagined.  We have all taken too much for granted
about the development of the album "musical package".

This story about the CBS takeover of ARC is fascinating -- do you think
we could wrest pre-38 Columbia away from Sony??!!!  Some of the articles
I've been reading in the music journals seemed so confused as to what
was happening.  This explains why!

From:  Geoffrey Wheeler

> Mike Biel provides a lot of interesting information. Yes, I am the
"author" and about 23 letters that were exchanged between Columbia
Phonograph and Western Electric are published verbatim in my book
Columbia Phonograph: Pioneer in Recorded Sound... I pulled the book
from publication several years ago to better clarify issues regarding
the circumstances under which CBS acquired the assets of Columbia
Phonograph from a defunct corporation after the fact and without any
documented proof that such transfer was legal. In essence, Columbia
Phonograph became instantly defunct when its Board of Directors
resigned and all its assets were conveyed to Sacro Enterprises Inc.
Although Columbia Phonograph was dead as a corporation, its name was
never removed from the New York State book of registered corporations
because neither the court nor the estate filed to have it removed and
an unnamed source (most likely Consolidated Film Industries) continued
to pay all the required fees and axes and to file all the required
documents. In essence, Sacro was a shell corporation; its incorporation
papers served as "boiler plate" for the incorporation of Masters
Records Inc. in early 1937. The wording of most paragraphs is virtually
the same throughout. By the time CBS acquired ARC effective January 1,
1939, all the Columbia Phonograph assets had been commingled with
those of ARC and Brunswick Record Corporation so it would probably be
difficult or impossible to declare which assets belonged to which
corporation. This would not only include factories and offices, but
desks, chairs, waster coolers, etc.

In that sense CBS did not acquire a distinguishable corporation with
distinguishable assets but a corporate name which CBS could manipulate
to its own purposes and, very important, make sure nobody else could
file for the "Columbia Phonograph" name should the first CP be removed
from the New York State corporate registry. Once a corporate name is
removed from the books, anyone could come along and incorporate under
that same name. To forestall anything like that happening, CBS
engineered a "take over" of Columbia Phonograph the corporation by
creating a new corporation with the same name but a new charter,
declaring the old corporation had passed on its assets to the new
corporation. This was not true. When Sacro died in December 1938,
ownership rights to all Columbia Phonograph assets died with it. Since
Sacro was not a legally constituted entity entitled to conduct business
it could not grant or otherwise transfer these assets to the "new
Columbia Phonograph without benefit of the courts. In essence, the
Columbia Phonograph assets have been locked in legal limbo since 1939.
The second step was to change the corporate name of American Record
Corp. to Columbia Recording Corp. and then later fold Columbia
Phonograph into Columbia Recording Corp. erasing any difference between
the assets of ARC-Columbia Recording Corp. and Columbia Phonograph.
Columbia Recording Corp. then became Columbia Records and Columbia
Records, CBS Records, etc. Every corporate change is documented so
there is a paper trail. The only break in the trail is Columbia
Phonograph to Sacro and documentation showing Sacro conveyed the
Columbia Phonograph assets to CFI, ARC, or CBS. Throughout its
existence, Sacro was always an independent corporation and there are no
papers identifying Sacro as being owned by any other entity but its own
"straw" board of directors, which were employees of the law firm filing
the incorporation papers. Since only the courts could make a
determination of what would happen to the assets, under the laws of
escheat they may well belong to the State of New York. I took this
matter to the office of New York's Attorney General, Eliot Spitzer. One
of his associates told me this matter wouldn't fall under the purview
of the AG's office because its chief constituents were "widows and
orphans." It was also an election year and why would Mr. Spitzer want
to antagonize the media by investigating one of their own? I asked the
assistant if the AG's office was allowed to choose which laws to defend
and which to ignore. I got no response.

Geoffrey Wheeler