[78-L] Advent of Electrical Recording

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 16:45:15 PST 2010

Did Sacro also continue the payment of patent license royalties to WE after
its takeover of Columbia, and if so, for how long?  None of the Columbias I
have from the Sacro era (wouldn't that be technically a more accurate name
for the post-Grigsby-Grunow/pre-CBS period?) have the W in the dead wax
(though I've seen labels of some I don't have, that showed the matrix number
as something like 'CO-W-1xxxx' or 'W-CO-1xxxx' that I presume did have the W
in their dead wax areas).

I wonder why the W symbol reappears on some mid-1940s Columbias?  I don't
mean repressings of, or even dubbed reissues, of previously released
electrical sides recorded by Columbia between 1925 and 1934 or so, but
mid-40s recordings.

Here's a pair of examples of what I'm asking about:  17409-D, one side is
CO.35354-1, the other is CO.37025-2; 37351, matrices HCO.2138-1 and
HCO.2139-1 (37351 being 'Moten swing' by Harry James).  On these records the
old W appears at the 3 o'clock position relative to the matrix numbers which
appear at the traditional 6 o'clock position.

For how long were Victor and Columbia required to pay patent royalties to
WE?  Only until the patents concerned ran out (and when did they do so)?