[78-L] Old" Flying Sauce"r fan heard from, WAS Copyright Criminals on PBS

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Jan 23 09:26:45 PST 2010

Fom: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Marty on the Planet Mars by Marty on Novelty 101
> That's the one!! Not worth $14.99 unless you're a masochist..it
> really does rip off entire sections from the original Flying Saucer.

That's a fascinating dilemma.  How do you sue someone for ripping your
recording off when your recording is ripping off other recordings and
you are trying to protect yourself from being sued!  The answer might be
to get the other guy sued by the guys trying to sue you!

It has been said that the sales of some of the records included in
Flying Saucer improved or revitalized noticably, and that there were
producers trying to get their records included in Goodman's records.
That certainly makes sense to me, because as a 10 year-old when Flying
Saucer came out there were some R&B records in it that I had never heard
before.  I wouldn't be surprised if some DJs included some of those
records on their programs that had not previously been playable on their
station, although I have no evidence of that.

Getting somewhat back to the original subject of the original thread,
properly promoted, the sampling of one of your records could be a plus
to the sales of the original.  When Elvis came out with Hound Dog it
created interest in Big Mama Thornton's original that was never there
originally.  She and that record would be completely forgotten now
otherwise.  The same is true of some of the other songs he recorded in
his early years that had been past hits.  Cover records of current hits
can deminish sales of the original, but they can also boost them, and
can definately bring back interest to records that have already ended
their run and have dropped off the charts.

After all, many of us have said we had never heard of Clyde
Stubblefield, and now there might be more interest in his records among
us and others seeing the documentary.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com