[78-L] Olde-timers

eugene hayhoe jazzme48912 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 23 09:26:25 PST 2010

Re: When an actor or singer, etc. takes an active roll in politics it ruins their value as an entertainer for me. When I see or hear them I think of a no brain blow hard politician instead of enjoying the entertainment. What gives them the license to become an expert in something just because they are popular as an entertainer. It is like” hi I am Joe your plumber. Being I know so much about pipes, I am also an expert in US foreign policy. You should listen to me. The current administration is going about it all wrong.” Joe you were my plumber. I used to like so and so as a singer, now I don’t want to hear them. Entertainment is just that, not the nightly news.
 - kenmath at yahoo.com

But what if what they are saying (singers, musicians, entertainers) makes more sense to you than other 'positions' you hear from other people?

On a broader, different level, I don't discount someone's art because of their politics - for example, I think Celine was a great writer, but I can't think of many whose politics are more abhorrent to me. I'm willing to listen to almost anyone's political position as long as it is fact based, coherent and not something I've already heard many times before.

Vague though they may be, I'll take the politics of someone like Paul Robeson, Bob Marley or Kurt Weill over those of a Richard Nixon or a Bill Clinton, etc. Further, I see no reason why performers should be compelled to lose their free speech rights (I think most are aware they may alienate some with their POV) just because the are performers. Also. I certainly have a higher opinion of the political sophistication of performers as a class than I do the political sophistication of politicians as a class - it isn't even close in my mind.

Gene