[78-L] Total Recall

Geoffrey Wheeler dialjazz at verizon.net
Sat Jan 23 09:32:19 PST 2010

Regarding the scarcity of the three Ella Fitzgerald recordings with
Goodman on Victor, one question that hasn’t been addressed is where
Russ Connor might have gotten his information about the recordings
being withdrawn. If Decca had known about them before they were issued
in January or early February 1937, it could have put the same kind of
pressure on Victor to have Victor pull the records. Since Victor issued
the recordings, obviously Decca didn’t. John Hammond might have been
the source because he personally knew Decca management, and Hammond, of
course, was affiliated with Goodman. Billie Holiday’s recording of “Any
Old Time” made with Artie Shaw (BB B-7759) in July 1938 was re-recorded
by Helen Forest March 1939 but not issued until the early 1940s in the
20 dash series (Vi 20-1575), backed by a reissue of “My Heart Stood
Still” from BB B-10125, recorded January 1939. The Forest version is
also said to be hard to find, but I have two copies of both, so you
can’t prove it by me. The Holiday version, rather than the Forest
version, was reissued on V-Disc 399. Shaw’s recording is oddly paired
with a medley of waltzes.
Geoffrey Wheeler