[78-L] Olde-timers

simmonssomer simmonssomer at comcast.net
Sat Jan 23 08:26:27 PST 2010

She had two loves ("J'ai deux amours" Col DF 229.)  U.S.A and La Belle
France. American born in St. Louis 1903.
Received the civilian equivalent of the French Croix de Guerre for her
wartime exploits for the Underground Resistance Movement.
Risked her life during the Nazi occupation.
After the war she opened an orphanage for French kids.

She had gone to Europe in the middle twenties. Less racism, better money and
fantastic popularity and
became an icon in France.
 Unlike most American expats she stayed the course.
(Adelaide Hall also stayed in England during WW II and the blitz.)
Even the hugely popular English film and recording star Gracie Fields flew
the coop to America when war broke out.
Baker was embraced by all levels of French society. (well almost)
She recorded for Odeon and French Columbia starting in 1925.
Ten inch LP's issued by Columbia in England in 1954 and '55 under the title
'Cabaret Night In Paris"

Al S.