[78-L] Olde-timers

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 23 07:18:30 PST 2010

Julian Vein wrote:
> Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. wrote:
>
>> David Lennick wrote:
>>
>>> You can actually make it through Can Can? I couldn't! Or anything else with
>>> Shirley MacLaine, for that matter. Seriously, I was raised on early Chevalier
>>> records and it was pathetic to see him slog through Gigi and Can Can (playing
>>> the same part).
>>>
>>> Take him out and shoot him, I say.
>>>

>> One of the very few French performers who did well in the States.
>> Piaf
>> Reinhart
>> Trenet
>> even Baker
>> all flopped here. Probably shouldn't have. Says more for our tastes than
>> for their talents.
>>
> ====================
> Django Reinhardt, like Hercules Poirot, was a Belgian... Baker French?

Reinhart grew up on the outskirts of Paris. He was brought here, toured
briefly but did not thrive.
Piaf had brief success here on tour, but had no stamina.
Trenet was never successful, though they stole "La Mer" for "Somewhere,
Beyond the Sea". He was the French version of Crosby. Performed until
shortly before his death.
Baker was an American expatriate who really made her career in France.
She did only fair back here as she was black and her work was a bit too
avant-garde (banana dance with just bananas?).

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.