[78-L] Spanish American War Songs

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 22 19:05:53 PST 2010

David Lewis wrote:
> Any early recording of "Stars and Stripes Forever" is related to the Spanish American War, as it formed the centerpiece of a show called "The Trooping of the Colors" which was a feel-good, patriotic pageant that toured during the War. "Hands Across the Sea," written in 1899, was Sousa's celebration of his personal sense of relief as the war between his country and that of his parents was finally over.

We are blessed here in Wisconsin with a Civil War era band called "The
First Brigade Band".
http://www.1stbrigadeband.org/1_home.html
Playing virtuoso performances on restored period instruments, their play
book is chocked with original versions of now familiar songs, such as
"Columbia, the Land of the Brave", now known as "Columbia, the Gem of
the Ocean".
Most of their music harkens to the American Civil War, but "later" music
is also included
http://www.1stbrigadeband.org/audio/webSSBs/Ssb_1stBB.mp3 ,
a period version of "Star Spangled Banner".
Members of the band include music archivists and researchers and a young
woman who has acquired the skill to undertake amazing restorations on
these old instruments. Their concerts include an entourage of period
ladies in correct attire. They are all avid historians and enjoy after
concert mingling with their audiences.
A few years ago we had them here for the 150th anniversary of the house
I am caretaker of. What a wonderful afternoon of music and education.
And what a crowd!

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.