[78-L] West African recordings, was Re: Advent of Electrical Recording

Doug Pomeroy pomeroyaudio at att.net
Fri Jan 22 14:15:30 PST 2010

I have a French CD which contains 20 recordings from 1928 by the
Kumasi Trio transferred from Zonophone 78s #1001 through #1010,
(YY13601-2 through YY13620-2).  The notes state the recordings were
made in Kingsway Hall, London.  Because of the processing to which
the audio was subjected, it's a little hard to determine whether the
recordings are electric or not.  But the room sound suggests they
were recorded with the omnidirectional condenser mic of the period.

DOug Pomeroy