[78-L] Ethel Waters (was Louis Armstrong

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 22 13:05:52 PST 2010

David Lennick wrote:
> fnarf at comcast.net wrote:
>> Oh, that's true.
>>
>> Here's a question: Wikipedia says Waters was the fifth black female singer to make a record (for Cardinal, in 1921). Who were the first four?
>>
>> Mamie Smith, 1920
>> Lucille Hegamin, 1920
>> Ma Rainey?
>> Alberta Hunter?
>>
>> Bessie Smith, Ida Cox, and Viola McCoy (Clara White) started a bit later.
>>
> Not Ma Rainey, she didn't record till 1923. Alberta Hunter started in May 1921
> and Ethel had already been in the studios in March and April. Mary Stafford was
> on Columbia in January 1921..we need one more.
>
> dl

Here's one possible:

Lavinia Turner Acc By Her Jazz Band:
Lavinia Turner (vcl) acc by poss. Gus Aiken (cnt) Jake Frazier (tb)
Garvin Bushell (cl,as) Willie Gant (p) ... Spivey (bj) Joe Banks (d)
New York, March, 1921
69168    How many times ?    Pathe Actuel 020544, 10134, Perfect 12032
69169    Can't get lovin' blues                -        -             -
Note: Both above titles also on Document (Au)DOCD5447 [CD] titled
"Virginia Liston/Lavinia Turner"; see flwg sessions to late October,
1922 for further titles.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4797 (20100122) __________

http://www.eset.com