[78-L] Baldwin label for sale - Val Ernie

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Jan 22 11:22:25 PST 2010

What I have learned about this record via our friend,  Mr. (or is it Ms.?)
Google:

There was for sure a Val Ernie Orchestra in Florida from around 1930 into at
least the late 40s.

The composer of the song on the label wrote other songs,  one published at
least as far back as 1907,  and was associated with a famous family of Coney
Island developers and restaurant owners.

So I'm guess that this is some kind of vanity pressing,  paid for by the
composer,  who may have gotten to know Mr. Ernie during vacations to
Florida.

Also...if you look at the endpapers of the Leo Walker book on dance bands,
you'll see a giant c. 1940 poster with headshots of all the bandleaders
under contract to MCA...and there is Val among them.

I have written to the seller to ask what is on the other side...no reply
yet.

Taylor