[78-L] Discovering jazz [was Louis Armstrong RANT, WARNING]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 22 08:37:36 PST 2010

Cary Ginell wrote:
Well, it wasn't me. I taught music appreciation to elementary school
kids for two years before I got my current job, and I spent a session
each year teaching the kids about the development of jazz. When I
brought up Armstrong, I played "West End Blues" and focused on his a
cappella introduction. The kids were all astounded and fascinated as to
how he could come up with those notes and play them so fast - they asked
about Louis, where they could get his CDs, what else he did. It was so
gratifying to see that Armstrong genius was transformed to a new
generation of youngsters. I don't know what others do, but there are two
years worth of kids at Westlake Hills and Park Oaks Elementary that know
something about Louis Armstrong. (I also played "Singin' the Blues" by
Trumbauer in that session).

And I never took a teaching course in my life.

Cary Ginell
I came to jazz in spite of music teaching at school. About all I
remember hearing there were Schubert's "Trout" Quintet and Charles
Williams's "The Devil's Gallop" (the signature tune of "Dick Barton,
Special Agent"--I've never forgiven "The Archers" for usurping him!).
Never any mention of jazz. I suspect most of us had a similar
experience. We discovered jazz through our own curiosity.

       Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4797 (20100122) __________

http://www.eset.com