[78-L] armstrong-no rant here

Bill McClung bmcclung78 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 08:07:42 PST 2010

A couple of comments on all that's been said.

Armstrong is on my musical personal Mount Rushmore.  And it is a very
personal Rushmore-alphabetically Louis Armstrong, Milton Brown, Charlie
Christian, Louis Jordan, Rosetta Tharp. I don't want to argue about the
merits of these choices.  This falls into the realm of politics and religion
so please don't go there unless you agree.  Many, many more musicians grace
the foothills.

Any artist, anybody, whose career lasts as long as Armstrong's will have
moments of gold and moments of dross. I like most of the Okehs but not all.
I like some of the Deccas but not many.  The All Stars live trump the studio
All Stars almost every time.  The energy Armstrong brings to his concert
recordings has always amazed me.

And I have no problem with Wonderful World.  It is what it is but I can't
imagine another singer making the song as universal as it has become.  And
if that song is the path that brings someone to the larger world of Louis
Armstrong then that is also a good thing.