[78-L] Louis Armstrong

eugene hayhoe jazzme48912 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 22 05:51:24 PST 2010

I pretty much try to acquire any LA record I see that I do not have (and I already have plenty, and yes, they do vary in quality, IMO, but there are many from every decade of his career that I love to listen to).

On the other hand, I don't have any records by Crosby, Buble, Krall, Feinstein & the many more like them, and it escapes me why anyone would; far as I'm concerned they would just be useless clutter that I would never have any interest in listening to.  Indeed, it is only when I realized as a youth that Crosby and his ilk were not the only kind of music around that I became interested in music at all. It's all a matter of taste of course, I'm not a believer in the objectivity myth & no offense intended to anyone.

Also, as a retired college teacher, I can echo first hand MB's (?) comments about teachers who lack any real backgrounds in their subject areas - I went thru a 7 year period where I did not work because there was no one culturally competent enough within the college to even understand the nature of my curriculum-based grievance (for which I was blatantly marginalized and retaliated against, even compared, on the record, to Sept. 11 'terrorists' by administrators); it took an outside arbitrator (who was obstructed every step of the way by the admin) to supply that. It is my impression that nepotism and cronyism are the number 1 influences on curriculum (at least at the place I taught at, Lansing Community College, here in MI). Intellectual integrity would seem to be pretty much irrelevant in my experience, and the lack therof is no reason for shame, it's the ability to be 'in control' that is important.

Gene