[78-L] Louis Armstrong

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 18:59:53 PST 2010

Cary,

Point well taken. And yet where would Crosby have been without Armstrong?
When Bing wanted to, he could swing with the best of them.

I think this is one of those issues where it depends on one's semantics. I
personally think Bing and Satch are both equally important and influential
in different ways. Personally, I think most jazz and many pop singers were
certainly touched by Armstrong, and many jazz and pop artists were touched
by Crosby. I daresay that Buble, Feinstein and Krall would be different
singers if they had not heard Armstrong.

My take, anyway.

Jeff Sultanof