[78-L] Louis Armstrong

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Thu Jan 21 11:43:16 PST 2010

I'm reading this book now. Got through the introduction, which paints a very realistic portrait of Armstrong, who is a lot more complex than most people realize. The title "Pops" is somewhat misleading, though, because although Armstrong was known by this name, he was more familiarly known as Satchmo. Pops was a name he, like Benny Goodman, used for people whose names he couldn't remember. But so far, the book is engrossing, thorough, and offers new insights not previously offered in other biographies (especially the myopic disaster by James Lincoln Collier). Will have to check in with the "Just a Gigolo" reference.

Cary Ginell