[78-L] snipes and snails

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Tue Jan 19 09:34:48 PST 2010

Just to be contrary, I'll point out that with many of the auctions I bid on,
someone does try to snipe me.   But of those sniped auctions I still win the
vast majority.  Recently I've only been winning about 65% of my record
auctions,  but when I reviewed the ones I lost I found on a few that I was
just totally out of the running (expensive jazz sides which I sort of
wanted) or was the low-ball underbidder,  mostly on odds and ends I didn't
care about very much (slight upgrades,  dupes for swapping,  mildly
interesting dance bands,  etc.).

And of course,  the more people who snipe,  the less effective it becomes.
Which brings me back to my position that if you really want the thing,  you
bid high,  you bid when you want to bid,  and then you go with the flow.

Taylor