[78-L] Tempo Records (and Brother Bones)

GENE JOSLIN electrodeon at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 18 17:58:00 PST 2010

--- On Mon, 1/18/10, Julian Vein <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> From: Julian Vein <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: [78-L] Tempo Records (and Brother Bones)
> To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
> Date: Monday, January 18, 2010, 6:09 PM
> agp wrote:
> > I was in my local Half Price Books which usually has a
> 78s to make
> > the visit worthwhile. Sometimes the 78s are even
> worthwhile too!. So
> > this time my 50 cents went toward the purchase of
> Tempo TR-652 Sweet
> > Georgia Brown by Brother Bones and his Shadows. This
> is from what I
> > understand the version that would later be used by the
> Harlem
> > Globetrotters as their 'theme'.
> >
> > That's worth 50 pennies for me any day.
> >
> > I am curious about the label, Tempo, though. For
> example, its states
> > 'Recorded by Direct Electronic Process'. Is this just
> advertising
> > glop, or does it really mean anything. The label copy
> also says
> > 'Tempo Custom Made Records'. Again, are these just
> words, or was
> > Tempo a 'vanity' company like some publishers, where
> could anyone
> > essentially walk in with their work and get it
> released after paying
> > for the privilege.
> >
> > No matter -- cool record anyway!

Tempo's "Direct Electronic Process" was employed in recording the Hammond Organ.

The output from the Hammond console was fed directly into the recording amplifier and so  to the cutter head.

The result was an extremely clean recording. both Hammond Speaker and studio microphone having been eliminated from the chain.

This was being done at the end of the forties.

Before long  Leslie speakers were dominating the field.

It was not possible to make a direct recording with the Leslie system since the live sound and fabulous vibrato were created by the speaker and had to be picked up by microphone.    -GJ