[78-L] Bitty bids, big bids, and batty bids

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Mon Jan 18 15:41:05 PST 2010

Mike B asks some good questions,  and I think this is an enjoyable topic to
chat about,  so here are my replies to some of his thoughts:

1.  I'm not always around at the last minute to place a bid.  And for some
reason,  I'm just not comfortable with setting up snipes...not sure why,
that's just me!
2.  On occasion,  I change my mind and raise my bid...esp. if I get a chance
to hear the record after I placed my first bid and I decide I want it more
than I'd thought before.  ON Sunday,  I had the chance to play the other
Burtnett Blue Wax,  and the more I listened,  the more I figured I wanted
the one being auctioned on Sunday.
3.  When I raise my bid,  I don't do so in teeny-weenie amounts,  but
usually by a pretty good whack.
4.  The people I'm curious about are the ones who site at the computer and,
in ten steps,  raise their bid from $4.99 to $15.99.
5.  As far as paying "too much" that doesn't happen to me.  If I say I'm
willing to pay a hundred bucks for something,  I'm happy to do so.  If I
don't win the record,  I don't really care.  I'd say I'm either the winning
bidder or the first underbidder on most of the auctions I bid on...that fact
has helped me develop very good relations with several auctioneers from whom
I also buy wonderful bargains off-list.  So if I pay "too much" on one day
for something,  the next week I may very well get something very nice at a
give-away price...which evens things out nicely.

So,  by my measure,  my technique pays off in spades!

Taylor