[78-L] Tempo Records (and Brother Bones)

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Mon Jan 18 15:20:55 PST 2010

I was in my local Half Price Books which usually has a 78s to make
the visit worthwhile. Sometimes the 78s are even worthwhile too!. So
this time my 50 cents went toward the purchase of Tempo TR-652 Sweet
Georgia Brown by Brother Bones and his Shadows. This is from what I
understand the version that would later be used by the Harlem
Globetrotters as their 'theme'.

That's worth 50 pennies for me any day.

I am curious about the label, Tempo, though. For example, its states
'Recorded by Direct Electronic Process'. Is this just advertising
glop, or does it really mean anything. The label copy also says
'Tempo Custom Made Records'. Again, are these just words, or was
Tempo a 'vanity' company like some publishers, where could anyone
essentially walk in with their work and get it released after paying
for the privilege.

No matter -- cool record anyway!