[78-L] Buffalo Bill Berliner sells for $6200

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Jan 18 10:10:15 PST 2010

From: "neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com" <neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com>
> So the final bid was $6200, but that does not tell us what was
> entered and what the winner was willing to pay, only what was
> high bid. Since it is an even number, perhaps it really was what he entered....

You did look at the list of the bidding as I suggested, didn't you???
It is an even number because it is the $100.00 increment above the
second highest bidder which was %6100.00.  If he had entered $6100.01 he
would have won at that amount because he got his bid in before the
$6100.00 was posted.  This type of auction, including live auctions, are
all based on what the highest bidder is offering to pay above the second
highest bidder, not what they are ultimately willing to pay.  But since
there was a time limit, we also do not know what the second bidder might
have been willing to go up to either if given a chance to continue
bidding against the winner as is done in a live auction.

It was discussed here last year that other non-Nauck and non-Ebay record
auctions usually do sell at what the winner's maximum is, but that is
not a good indication of the real value of the record.  It is what ONE
bidder would pay, and maybe no other.  This style of auction shows what
at least two bidders were willing (or nearly willing) to pay, and thus
there is still at least one bidder still out there looking at that
price.  If all the bidders were the much lower bidders and suddenly ONE
bidder hit the $6000 vicinity, that bidder would have gotten it at just
above the lower amounts, which is much fairer.  That there were TWO
bidders at this level showed that there STILL IS interest at this level.
 I am no longer willing to bid on auctions where I am charged my maximum
bid even though the next highest bidder (if any) was willing to pay much
less.  So Nauck and eBay are about all I do.

> this is some real power record buying for sure!  joe salerno

Too rich for my blood, that's for sure!!!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com