[78-L] Here's a suggestion

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 18 02:20:58 PST 2010

Steven C. Barr wrote:

> 4) My comments per "the Decline and Fall" of 78 collecting were
> NOT based on my eventual (not too soon, I hope...?!) demise...OR
> my inability to afford purchasing 78's...! I just wonder about how
> much longer the hobby will survive, given the harsh reality that there
> exist VERY few young (<30) 78 collectors! Popular music of the
> 1900-1950 period has its own style(S?!)...and those of us who
> love it are an aging, and as a result dying, minority. In fact, I would
> predict that in another fifty or so years, ONE hapless 78-ophile
> will suddenly inherit ALL the extant 78 collections...more or less
> by default, since no one else will WANT the dommed things!

> Steven C. Barr
By which time there will be nothing to play them on. 78 collecting will
be like stamp collecting, the artifact will no longer have a functional
use, it will be only judged by the artistic quality of the label design,
and its rarity, of course. There'll be no aesthetic pleasure in
collecting what's contained within the grooves.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4781 (20100118) __________

http://www.eset.com