[78-L] Transcription differences

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jan 17 19:24:08 PST 2010

From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>
> I have always assumed that "Standard" was a label created
> and set up by RCA Victor, so that they could duck out of
> the "ethnic record" portion of the industry...?!

Two entirely different companies and Standard labels.  The one being
discussed was a broadcast music library service with mostly 16-inch
pressings with white labels having a horizontal red and blue stripe.
Their labels originally included a tiny RCA logo indicating that RCA did
their recording and processing, but it was not at all owned or
controlled by RCA or NBC.  The label you are discussing sold shellac
pressings to regular people and likewise used RCA for recording and
processing.  I don't think there was any ownership or control by RCA for
this one either.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com