[78-L] playing "Victrolac" records

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jan 17 17:57:12 PST 2010

marc van Bemmel wrote:
> I have just bought a bunch of 16 inch radio
> transcription discs (33 1/3 rpm), "RCA Victrolac" with recordings
> form the "General motors symphony orchestra" from around 1936.

By 1936 I don't think that RCA was using the name Victrolac any more.
Do they say so on the labels or are you assuming this from the sleeves
or from other talk?

> They look a bit like the German "Decelith" records and seem to be
> very soft (but fortunately they do not smell so badly".

Victrolac pressings look and feel NOTHING like Decelith records.
Victrolac are pressings and are relatively stiff.  Decelith are
grooveless blanks which are individually cut and are relatively
flexible.  If they are RCA pressings they will have matrix numbers which
can date the recordings.  If they are not RCA pressings they are not
Victrolac, and you will need to supply us with some real information of
what they are.  Don't rely on what the sleeves say.  I am wondering if
you really have some World pressings.  Are they flexible?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com