[78-L] dewarping 78s

GENE JOSLIN electrodeon at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 17 08:25:17 PST 2010

--- On Sat, 1/16/10, Steven C. Barr <stevenc at interlinks.net> wrote:

> From: Steven C. Barr <stevenc at interlinks.net>
> Subject: Re: [78-L] dewarping 78s
> To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
> Date: Saturday, January 16, 2010, 9:36 PM

THERE IS GREAT POTENTIAL FOR DISASTER WHEN YOU PLACE RECORDS IN AN OVEN, OR OUT IN THE SUN.

Make a wooden frame 14 inches square, using wood 8-inches wide.
Get a simple light socket with a mounting flange to hold a 25 watt light bulb in a vertical position.  Place the frame over this.
Get two squares of plate glass. making sure they are completely clean.
Put the first piece over the frame and place the warped record on it.
This glass should be a least 2 or 3 inches above the light bulb.
Put the second piece of glass on top of the record.
On top of this use just a little weight.  (a stack of 10 78s worked well for me.)
When adding the weight, introduce it gently to avoid the possibility of snapping the warped record.
Now turn on your 25 watt light bulb and the process begins.
Allow several hours for the gentle heat to do its work.
(I usually set it up and let it go all night.)
IMPORTANT:  When you turn off the light, Do NOT try to see what happened
until the record has had an hour or so to cool and regain  hardness.
This procedure always gave wonderful results with the record coming out straight as a die.    - GJ