[78-L] dewarping 78s

Alexandre Benoit pathe90rpm at yahoo.fr
Sun Jan 17 05:48:27 PST 2010

Dewarping 78s at 100 degrees celsius? Says Steven Barr. That's 212 Fahrenheit.
Far too hot!

The compound starts to get flexible at 80 degrees C, that's  176 Fahrenheit.
The risk to get the groove walls involved is too high in anything above that.
I am talking from experience. And I measure the actual temperature (with a meat thermometer the results of which I have cross-checked with other thermometers).

I like to have control over the result, therefore I don't dewarp with heat from the sunshine.
Alex