[78-L] Transcription differences

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 16 21:19:10 PST 2010

Could RCA have pressed Columbia masters? The YTH matrix numbers are hand
written, not machine stamped, and the disc feels like an RCA pressing. The
labels are identical to those on P156, which has PMS-0xxxxx matrix numbers
(which are also hand written). Columbia transcriptions are heavier, no? The SSR
issue is much lighter.

Matter of fact, EVERY matrix number on the 5 discs I have here is hand written,
whether it's an RCA or Columbia number. I guess Jackson's discs must have been
popular and gone through a few dubs and reissues.

dl