[78-L] passing of rusty dedrick

Eric Goldberg ericgoldie2 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 16 19:16:09 PST 2010

On Christmas day Lyle Fairweather "Rusty" Dedrick passed away after battling prostrate and bone cancer. He was a great arranger, trumpet player, educator and a really nice guy. I called him the "King of the 4th Trumpets" because I sometimes found him listed in that chair. He explained that when bands like Larry Sonn and Shep Fields came to NYC they added him to fill out the trumpet section for their recordings.

I'm sure that he was on many big band 78s although his own albums were on LP, some of them 10".

I hope that this is the worst news that we have in 2010.

Eric Goldberg