[78-L] stylus measurement

Bill Klinger klinger at modex.com
Sat Jan 16 17:46:31 PST 2010

Don,

The numerical values you asked about refer to the stylus tip _radius_.

Styli having a tip rounded to form a portion of a sphere have been termed
"spherical" styli, ever since Thomas Edison adopted the shape, in 1889.  The
term can be misleading because, in practice, the tip is normally just a
_hemisphere_, at one end of a cylindrical or conical rod.

Cartridge manufacturers and stylus makers cite the radius of that hemisphere
when describing their "spherical"-tip products.

Regards,
Bill
Bill Klinger
13532 Bass Lake Road