[78-L] Postage crisis ??

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Jan 15 19:47:29 PST 2010

I have already been through my own "postage crisis!" 20 or more years ago, I
regularly received (and bid on) 78 auction lists from the UK...I had to give
up
that aspect of our hobby when transatlantic postage on 78rpm records reached
a point where I was paying about US 50 cents for 78rpm phonorecords...and
about US$2 postage each to get them here...!!

What we NEED to do is to set up something like ham radio's "QSL Bureau!!"
A central point where transatlantic 78 shipments could be accumulated, and
then carried as "baggage" by travellers on transatlantic flights...and then
parceled up and mailed at US "Media Mail" rates to each recipient...!

78 collecting is rapidly dying via suffering from international postage
rates!
The harsh reality is that 78rpm phonorecords weigh about 1/2 lb. each...and
as such can no longer be mailed affordably! Perhaps in the not too distant
future, we will see a method to define and e-mail solid objects?!

...stevenc