[78-L] Loyal to the Kyser

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 17:21:13 PST 2010

In times past, I might have agreed with Cary. Then I heard some WWII
airchecks and most of the Columbia's and I realized how I'd made assumptions
based on what I heard from others vs. my own listening. Kyser had an
excellent band during the war and after. It really jumped, and the level of
singing, whether by soloists or by groups of singers in the band, were
excellent.

I would even go so far as to say that anyone who can reasonably say he/she
has studied the big band era and has not heard Kyser has not heard one of
the best of the WWII bands. The other underrated band from that era that is
not well known and must be heard is Jan Savitt's excellent unit, and luckily
there are a few One Night Stands now available through Radio Archives in
excellent sound. We even have a Jan Savitt short thanks to WB Archives.

Jeff Sultanof