[78-L] Pop Music thgru 1955(ish)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 13 14:57:30 PST 2010

Patti Page was multi-tracking even before they had tape. And in the 30s,
Richard Tauber and Lawrence Tibbett recorded duets with themselves. Peter
Ustinov also overdubbed on "Mock Mozart", doing several voices in harmony,
which was difficult because he could barely carry a tune even without having to
compete with himself. Parlophone 78, 1952, produced by George Martin.

And we know of the instrumental overdubs by Sidney Bechet, which consist of
several layers of "lost generations", and in the mid 40s Jascha Heifetz played
with himself.

Egad..how many Colonnae can one stand?

dl